Love Local This February!
This February we are loving local (even more than usual!) and we want YOU to join us! For 2 weeks during February we are challenging you to use only local businesses.
When you shop locally, you’re empowering your community and your own voice as part of it. The power is with you, rather than in some corporate boardroom far away. It’s about nurturing a local economy that can support a diverse range of businesses as well as a connected and supportive community for all who live there. Buying from small, local, independent businesses means the money you spend goes directly to people who live, and invest, in your community.
Equally, your local indies play a huge role in defining, and creating the character of your neighbourhood. They provide places for people to connect with each other, which is vital in this age of loneliness and isolation. Feeling part of a community is vital for our wellbeing.
Small businesses have the fleet of foot to change policies around environmental impact, meaning they can react quickly to change the impact they have on the environment, and you as a customer can influence this by suggesting changes. On top of that, the nature of local indies means that customers are far more likely to walk or cycle to them, and collaboration between businesses often means their supply chain is local too.
So to the rules!
- Explore local alternatives for regular purchases (e.g. veg boxes, farmers markets, bakeries and butchers instead of supermarkets)
- No purchases from large internet providers!
- Get to know the local businesses that make up your community
- It’s not about the extra purchases, it’s about the everyday – e.g using a local indie gym, getting your coffee from an indie rather than a chain.
- Use #LoveIndieOxford to tell us how you’re getting on with the challenge!