Recipe: Lovely Lemony Cupcakes from Happy Cakes
Each month we’re going to be bringing you a recipe direct from one of the indies we work with. To kick things off and to truly launch us into Spring, the wonderful Julia from Happy Cakes has provided this fab recipe for her lovely lemony cupcakes.
Since 2009 Happy Cakes have been making thousands of cupcakes with fun and love! Each cake is lovingly hand crafted in their Summertown kitchen using the finest ingredients available. No two orders are the same – they pride themselves on innovative design as well as delicious cakes. They can cope with large orders for logo cupcakes and love a cute bespoke small order. Read our interview with Julia to find out more about this super company.
LOVELY LEMONY CUPCAKES
250g butter / margarine, softened
250g caster sugar
250g self raising flour
1 tsp lemon essence (if desired)
zest of 2 lemons, finely chopped
lemon curd for filling
125g butter, softened
500g icing sugar
1. Cream together butter, sugar and lemon essence until pale and fluffy
2. Beat in eggs
3. Fold in the flour and zest
4. Divide between 14 paper cases and bake 180C for 16-19 min until golden. Cool before icing.
5. Use an insertion nozzle or cut out the core of the cake and insert lemon curd
For the Icing…
1. Beat all the ingredients together adding enough lemon juice to make a stiff icing
2. If you want to colour your icing, split the mixture and add food colouring.
3. Pipe on to your cakes using an open star nozzle
4. Decorate with sugar flowers or sprinkles and enjoy!